Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɔːnəˌɡɹæfɪkəʊdɪˈvəʊʃənəl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɔɹnəˌɡɹæfɪkoʊdɪˈvoʊʃənəl/
- Rhymes: -əʊʃənəl
pornographico-devotional (not comparable)
- (of writings, rare) Both pornographic and devotional.
- 1939, Arnold Joseph Toynbee, “A Study of History”, in The Disintegrations of Civilizations: Part One, 2nd edition, volume V, Oxford University Press, published 1961, page 531:
- This Egyptiac conception of a single universal godhead manifesting itself under a host of local names was not only extended from Re of Heliopolis to Amon-Re of Thebes. In an age when the Egyptiac Civilization itself was on the eve of extinction we find an Egyptiac Isis who by this time had conquered a spiritual empire for herself in an alien Hellenic World laying claim to the same Protean universality in her epiphany to the hero of Apuleius’s pornographico-devotional romance.
both pornographic and devotional