Jump to navigation Jump to search
- prædominate (obsolete)
- (intransitive) To dominate, have control, or succeed by superior numbers or size.
- (intransitive) To be prominent; to loom large; to be the chief component of a whole.
- (transitive) To dominate or hold power over, especially through numerical advantage; to outweigh.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Predominate is and has been much less common than predominant as an adjective.
- Some usage and style authorities frown on predominate as an adjective. For example, Garner's Modern American Usage calls it a "needless variant" and discourages its use on the grounds that it might cause a reader to interpret it as the verb, which has the same spelling.
predominant — see predominant