See also: présélection
- (politics) The process by which a candidate for public office is selected, usually by a political party
2009 February 17, Malcolm Farr and AAP, “Former Opposition leader Brendan Nelson to quit politics”, in Herald Sun:
- The preselection in Mr Costello's Victorian seat of Higgins will start in April, when he will have to reveal whether he will stand for another term.
- (chiefly sciences) Selection in advance
2001 March 9, Christian M. T. Spahn et al., “Hepatitis C Virus IRES RNA-Induced Changes in the Conformation of the 40S Ribosomal Subunit”, in Science, volume 291, number 5510, DOI:10.1126/science.1058409, pages 1959-1962:
- After automated particle preselection, manual verification, and selection by cross-correlation, 18,801 particles were chosen for the vacant 40S subunit, 20,939 particles for the IRES-40S complex, and 13,613 particles for the IRES dII-40S complex.
- (evolutionary theory) The preference for a mate found attractive by other members of one's sex.