Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: sélection
selection (plural selections)
- The process or act of selecting.
- The large number of good candidates made selection difficult.
- Something selected.
- My final selection was a 1934 Chateau Lafitte.
- A variety of items taken from a larger collection.
- I've brought a selection of fine cheeses to go with your wine.
- A musical piece.
- For my next selection, I'll play Happy Birthday in F-sharp minor.
- (databases) A set of data obtained from a database using a query.
- (musical piece): number
- (something selected): option
- (musical piece): piece
- (variety from larger collection): subset
process or act of selecting
variety of items taken from a larger collection
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- selection in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “selection”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911