Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: seleçaõ
- seleçaõ (obsolete, used up to the 19th century)
- selecçaõ (obsolete, used up to the 19th century)
- selecção (obsolete, used up to 1945)
The sense “national team” is from the idea that a national team is formed by a selection of a country’s best sportsmen.
seleção f (plural seleções)
- selection (the process or act of selecting)
- A seleção de animais para o abate.
- The selection of animals for slaughter.
- selection (the elements which are chosen in a selection)
- Lerei uma seleção de livros.
- I will read a selection of books.
- (sports) a sports team that represents a region or organisation, such as a national sports team
- A seleção italiana de futebol venceu quatro vezes a copa mundial.
- The Italian national football team won the world cup four times.
- (biology) a process by which certain beings are excluded from the chance of passing their genes to future generations
- A seleção natural garantiu a sobrevivência dos homens.
- Natural selection guaranteed man’s survival.
- (act of selecting): escolha