Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Privileged, specially selected.
Only a select few were allowed into the premiere.
- Thomas Macaulay (1800-1859)
- A few select spirits had separated from the crowd, and formed a fit audience round a far greater teacher.
- 1893, Walter Besant, The Ivory Gate, chapter III:
- At half-past nine on this Saturday evening, the parlour of the Salutation Inn, High Holborn, contained most of its customary visitors. […] In former days every tavern of repute kept such a room for its own select circle, a club, or society, of habitués, who met every evening, for a pipe and a cheerful glass.
- Of high quality; top-notch.
This is a select cut of beef.
- To choose one or more elements of a set, especially a set of options.
- He looked over the menu, and selected the roast beef.
- The program computes all the students' grades, then selects a random sample for human verification.
- (databases) To obtain a set of data from a database using a query.
to choose one or more elements from a set