pride comes before a fall
- pride cometh before a fall, pride goes before a fall, pride goeth before a fall, pride wenteth before a fall
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Book of Proverbs, 16:18,
- Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- see also, James 4:6 (KJV) But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
- and, 1 Peter 5:5 (KJV) Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.