Jump to navigation Jump to search
Analyzable as prop- + -ane, borrowing or calque of German Propan.
propane (countable and uncountable, plural propanes)
- (organic chemistry) An aliphatic hydrocarbon, C3H8, a constituent of natural gas. [from 1867]
- 1960 April, “Restaurant cars and multiple-units”, in Trains Illustrated, page 222:
- Propane gas is used for cooking and cylinder containers are placed to one side of the underframe, with battery boxes and electrical control boxes at the other side.
- E944 when used as a propellant
aliphatic hydrocarbon: C3H8
- propane at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “propane”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
propane m (plural propanes)
- “propane”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- English terms suffixed with -ane
- English terms calqued from German
- English terms derived from German
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- en:Organic compounds
- English terms with quotations
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French masculine nouns