- A device used to operate an appliance (such as a television), vehicle or mechanical toy from a short distance away.
- 2011 December 15, Felicity Cloake, “How to cook the perfect nut roast”, in Guardian:
- A single slice of this could leave you supine in front of the Queen's speech without even the wherewithal to reach for the remote control.
- (uncountable) A means of doing something from a distance.
- The bomb was detonated by remote control.
device used to operate an appliance or mechanical toy from a short distance away