sapote (plural sapotes)
- The soft, edible fruit of various South American trees, including the sapodilla.
2009 June 28, John Anderson, “His Weird Side: That’s Where the Fun Is”, in New York Times:
- Besides, the theater gives him a rush that can only be equaled by, perhaps, the healthy fruiting of a white sapote.
- Sapotaceae species:
- Manilkara zapota, sapodilla, naseberry, native to Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Belize, and possibly El Salvador.
- Pouteria campechiana, yellow sapote, native to Mexico and Central America.
- Pouteria sapota, mamey sapote, from southern Mexico to northern South America.
- Pouteria viridis, green sapote, native to lowland southern Mexico.
- Ebenaceae species:
- Rutaceae species:
fruit of various South American trees