- (obsolete or nonstandard) To scar.
- (obsolete or nonstandard) Denude, or lay waste to.
- (horticulture) To remove thatch (build-up of organic matter on the soil) from a lawn, to dethatch.
- (horticulture) To damage the testa (seed coat) of a seed by cutting, scraping, chemicals, hot water, or fire to allow permeation of water and faster germination.
- (agriculture) To break up, loosen, or roughen the surface of a field or road or a hard surface.
to remove thatch
to break up, loosen or roughen a surface