sell someone a pup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) To sell something of little worth, pretending that it is something else of greater value.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:deceive
- 2009 July 20, Arifa Akbar, “Churchill felt he was ‘sold a pup’ of a bomb shelter, letter reveals”, in The Independent:
- The document […] reveals how Churchill complained that Duff had “sold him a pup” and let him think that “this place is a real bomb-proof shelter”.
- 2009 July 31, “Online dog lovers sold a pup”, in Sydney Morning Herald:
- Online dog lovers sold a pup [title]
Often used in the passive voice:
- I've been sold a pup.