Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: send away for
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, transitive) To dismiss from one's presence.
- The salesman was taking up too much time with his nonsense, so I sent him away.
- (idiomatic, transitive) To send to a particular place for a long time, as a family member, an employee, etc.
- We are going to send our son away to live with his uncle in America for a year.
- In both senses, the object may appear before or after the particle, with shorter objects (especially personal pronouns) tending to precede it, and longer objects tending to follow it.