Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Used other than as an idiom. To shoot upwards.
- (intransitive) To grow taller rapidly.
- (transitive) To fire many bullets at.
1899, Stephen Crane, chapter 1, Twelve O'Clock:
- There was some laughter, and Roddle was left free to expand his ideas on the periodic visits of cowboys to the town. “Mason Rickets, he had ten big punkins a-sittin' in front of his store, an' them fellers from the Upside-down-F ranch shot 'em up […].”
- (intransitive) or (transitive) To inject (a drug) intravenously.
To grow taller rapidly
To fire many bullets at
To inject (a drug) intravenously