Jump to navigation Jump to search
sirname (plural sirnames)
- Archaic spelling of surname. [uncommon after 1860]
- 1806, Walter Scott, Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border, Vol. II (of 3):
- Fair Helen's sirname, therefore, depends upon the period at which she lived, which it is now impossible to ascertain.]
- 1833, Charles K. Dillaway, Roman Antiquities, and Ancient Mythology:
- These names were not always used; commonly two, and sometimes only the sirname.
- 1902, William Younger Fletcher, English Book Collectors:
- They were in two trunks (made exactly fit for them) that had the first letters of my christian and sirname decyphered upon them with nails; and on the first page of every book was my ordinary motto and name written at length in my own hand.