Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
remains pl (plural only)
- What is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse.
They buried the remains of their longtime friend in the town cemetery.
- The victim's remains were one small piece of bone.
- Historical or archaeological relics.
- The extant writings of a deceased person.
To his great intellectual powers his published remains bear abundant witness.
- All that is left of the stock of some things; remnants.
1963, Margery Allingham, “Foreword”, in The China Governess:
- Everything a living animal could do to destroy and to desecrate bed and walls had been done. […] A canister of flour from the kitchen had been thrown at the looking-glass and lay like trampled snow over the remains of a decent blue suit with the lining ripped out which lay on top of the ruin of a plastic wardrobe.
He couldn't bring himself to eat the remains of the chicken dinner.
what is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse
relic of an ancient building or other structure
all that is left of the stock of some things; remnants
remains — see wreck
- (rare) plural of
- third-person singular simple present indicative form of remain
- We'll go ahead, while she remains here.