Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Causing erosion of moral fortitude or that eliminates hope or motivation
- War is a soul-destroying experience for soldiers: you're never the same easy-going person after you've killed.
- The daily rat race is soul-destroying: you soon give up all aspirations and just try to survive the boredom.
- 1916, Friedrich von Hügel, The German Soul, pp183-184
- The results of such excessive concentration and production are, sooner or later, huge, soul-destroying Trusts, immense national rivalries, and appalling bloody wars largely occasioned by the existence and ever-growing needs of such insatiable machines.