Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Of or relating to a spasm; resembling a sudden contraction of the muscles.
- Convulsive; consisting of spasms.
- spasmodic asthma
- 1734, T[homas] K[night], A Critical Dissertation upon the Manner of the Preparation of Mercurial Medicines, and Their Operation on Human Bodies; particularly Those Most in Fashion: […], London: Printed for Harmen Noorthouck […], OCLC 14332927, page 52:
- […] Dr. Francis Fuller, […] upon wearing a Quick-ſilver Girdle, for the Cure of the Itch, (and that after an inconſiderate and raſh manner) was brought under a violent Spaſmodick Diſtemper, which was ſupposed by himſelf and others to be owing to ſome Mercurial Particles lodg'd in ſome excretory Ducts of the Brain.
- Intermittent or fitful; occurring in abrupt bursts.
- Erratic or unsustained.
- Of or relating to the spasmodic poets, a group of British Victorian poets who wrote introspective drama in verse.
of or relating to a spasm
convulsive; consisting of spasms
intermittent or fitful; occurring in short bursts
spasmodic (plural spasmodics)