Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Stopping and starting at intervals; coming after a particular time span; not steady or constant
- The day was cloudy with intermittent rain.
- Intermittent bugs are most difficult to reproduce.
- (specifically, geology, of a body of water) Existing only for certain seasons; that is, being dry for part of the year.
- The area has many intermittent lakes and streams.
stopping and starting at intervals
intermittent (plural intermittents)
- (medicine, dated) An intermittent fever or disease.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dunglison to this entry?)
- “intermittent” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).