Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: 'specially
From Middle English specialli, specially, equivalent to special + -ly.
specially (not comparable)
- For a special purpose, person, or occasion.
- We had this cake made specially for your birthday.
- The train is waiting specially for a high-ranking diplomat.
- The school is specially for any child whose schooling was disrupted by illness.
- (proscribed) extremely
- She's specially good at running.
- (proscribed) in particular
- I love all animals, specially cute furry ones.
- Senses 2 and 3 are non-standard; in such cases, especially is far more common, and considered correct.
- (for a special purpose): especially
- (extremely): exceedingly, passing, quite; see also Thesaurus:very
- (in particular): see also Thesaurus:specifically
for a special purpose
(proscribed) extremely — see extremely, exceedingly
(proscribed) in particular — see in particular, specifically
- Alternative form of specialli
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms suffixed with -ly
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English adverbs
- English uncomparable adverbs
- English terms with usage examples
- English proscribed terms
- Middle English lemmas
- Middle English adverbs