Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
spittoon (plural spittoons)
- A receptacle for spit.
1835, James Payn, From Exile, page 142:
- In the only arm-chair which the apartment boasted—one of the legs of which was shorter than the other three, and to remedy that defect was ingeniously stuck into an iron spittoon—sat the young man Mr. Pascoe had come to visit, very unlike, it must be confessed, any "portraits of a gentleman" one ever saw in the exhibition of the Royal Academy.
1903, S. A. Knopf, “A practical talk to the nurses of tuberculous patients”, in The American Journal of Nursing, volume 3, page 444:
- For use in public institutions, in corridors and grounds, I would recommend an elevated spittoon, which has numerous advantages over the ordinary spittoon placed on the floor.
2003, Marie Jakober, Only Call Us Faithful: A Novel of the Union Underground, page 194:
- They had made good time, Streight thought, considering what they were using: a chisel, a wooden spittoon to put the dirt in, a clothesline to pull the spittoon back and forth, a candle for the digger, and the rubber blanket for fanning air.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) The absorbent pad an ink cartridge rests on in an inkjet printer.
2002 January 22, DA Gaylor, Transferring spittoon system for waste inkjet ink, US Patent 6,340,220 :
- A transferring spittoon system is provided for an inkjet printing mechanism to handle waste inkjet ink that has been spit from an inkjet printhead during a nozzle clearing, purging or "spitting" routine.
- (receptacle): cuspidor
receptacle for spit