(onomatopoeia). Connected with splash and splish by vowel apophony (sound change); compare with Indo-European ablaut as in sing/sang/sung/song. Compare also slosh.
splosh (third-person singular simple present sploshes, present participle sploshing, simple past and past participle sploshed)
- to make the sound of splashing
- to traverse mushy or marshy wetlands
- to spill or spill over
splosh (countable and uncountable, plural sploshes)
- (countable) A heavy splashing sound.
- (uncountable, Britain, slang) Tea (the drink).
- Give us a cup of splosh, love.