Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: stand-offish
- Aloof; reserved; unsociable and unfriendly.
- 1899 February, Joseph Conrad, “The Heart of Darkness”, in Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine, volume CLXV, number M, New York, N.Y.: The Leonard Scott Publishing Company, […], OCLC 1042815524, part I:
- He was stand–offish with the other agents, and they on their side said he was the manager’s spy upon them.
- “standoffish”, in Dictionary.com Unabridged, Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–present.
- "standoffish" in Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (Cambridge University Press, 2007)
- “standoffish”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
- Oxford English Dictionary, second edition (1989)
- Random House Webster's Unabridged Electronic Dictionary, 1987–1996.