- Rhymes: -ɒnɪk
subsonic (not comparable)
- (of a sound, scientific) Having a frequency too low to be audible.
- (of a sound, literary) Very quiet, almost inaudible.
- The noise of the ship was all around her. The faint subsonic rumble of the reactor and drive. (Leviathan Wakes, James S. A. Corey)
- (of a speed) Less than the speed of sound (in the same medium, and at the same temperature and pressure).
- (fluid mechanics, of a flow) With a Mach number such that 0.3 < Ma < 0.8 (approximately - the exact limits vary between sources).
(of a speed) less than the speed of sound
subsonic (plural subsonics)
- An aircraft whose maximum speed is less than the speed of sound.
declension of subsonic