- (philosophy) The study of the purpose or design of natural occurrences.
- (by extension) An instance of such a design or purpose, usually in natural phenomena.
- 2011, Paul A. Rahe, Truths You Cannot Utter:
- In short, what every student of biology knows – that within nature there is a teleology having to do with the survival of the species which underpins the distinction between the two sexes and produces between them a natural affinity for one another – no surgeon who knows what is good for him may now say.
- The use of a purpose or design rather than the laws of nature to explain an occurrence.
study of the purpose of occurrences
use of purpose to explain occurrence