Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
trimonoecious (not comparable)
- (botany) That has male, female and bisexual (perfect) flowers on the same individual plant.
1989, Ib Libner Nonnecke, Vegetable Production, page 509:
- Finally, there is the trimonoecious group, which has a mixture of staminate, pistillate, and hermaphroditic flowers all on the same plant.
- 1998, J. M. Alvarez, Chapter 24: Muskmelon, S.S. Banga, S.K. Banga (editors), Hybrid Cultivar Development, page 516,
- Six different sex forms have been reported in C.[Cucumis] melo, i.e., monoecious, andromonoecious, gynomonoecious, hermaphrodite, trimonoecious, and gynoecious (Poole and Grimball 1939).
- 2002, Pierre-Henri Gouyon, Jean-Pierre Henry, Jacques Arnould, Tiiu Ojasoo (translator), Gene Avatars: The Neo-Darwinian Theory of Evolution, page 137,
- Individual plants are either hermaphrodites (all flowers are hermaphrodites), monoecious (both male and female flowers), andromonoecious (male and hermaphrodite flowers), gynomonoecious (female and hermaphrodite flowers) or trimonoecious (all three types of flowers).
- 2011, T. K. Behera, K. Joseph John, L. K. Bharathi, R. Karuppaiyan, Chapter 10: Momordica, Chittaranjan Kole (editor), Wild Crop Relatives: Genomic and Breeding Resources: Vegetables, page 226,
- Trivedi and Roy (1973) have reported the appearance of various intermediate sex forms such as andromonoecious, gynoecious, and trimonoecious in colchicine-treated plants of M. charantia, but remaining as diploids.