Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Not polished; not brought to a polish.
- Deprived of polish.
- Not refined in manners or style
- Synonyms: plain, rude, uncivilized; see also Thesaurus:impolite
- Antonyms: civilized, polished, refined
- 1594, Michael Drayton, “[Sonnets.] To the Deere Chyld of the Muses, and His Euer Kind Mecænas, Ma. Anthony Cooke, Esquire.”, in Cyril Brett, editor, Minor Poems of Michael Drayton, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Clarendon Press, published 1907, OCLC 71393529, page 1:
- Vovchsafe to grace these rude vnpolish'd rymes, / Which long (dear friend) haue slept in sable night, / And, come abroad now in these glorious tymes, / Can hardly brook the purenes of the light.