Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Showing or having good feelings or good taste.
- Ozzie and Harriet are refined people.
- 1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?
- An absence of coarseness.
- Not vulgar.
- Without impurities.
- The sugar was refined, not gritty.
showing good taste
absence of coarseness
- Simple past tense and past participle of refine.
- The raw petroleum was refined into kerosene.