Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- præcise (archaic)
- Exact, accurate.
1921, Bertrand Russell, The Analysis of Mind:
- A memory is "precise" when the occurrences that would verify it are narrowly circumscribed: for instance, "I met Jones" is precise as compared to "I met a man." A memory is "accurate" when it is both precise and true, i.e. in the above instance, if it was Jones I met.
- (sciences) Of experimental results, consistent, clustered close together, agreeing with each other. This does not mean that they cluster near the true, correct, or accurate value.
2013 June 22, “Snakes and ladders”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8841, page 76:
- Risk is everywhere. […] For each [kind] there is a frighteningly precise measurement of just how likely it is to jump from the shadows and get you. “The Norm Chronicles” […] aims to help data-phobes find their way through this blizzard of risks.
- See also Wikisaurus:meticulous
(sciences) clustered close together
- (used by non-native speakers or in jargons, transitive) To make or render precise.
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of precisar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of precisar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of precisar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of precisar
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of precisar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of precisar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of precisar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of precisar.