Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A non-descriptive statement.
1995, Warren A. Shibles, Emotion in Aesthetics:
- How do we recognize a value statement? How can we distinguish a value statement from a descriptive one? Are value statements those characterized by involving opinions or judgments?
1997, James William Lett, Science, Reason, and Anthropology: The Principles of Rational Inquiry:
- This is obviously and explicitly a value statement: Stoller's contention is that ethnography is the most valuable part of anthropology and that it should be more highly valued by anthropologists.
1998, Arto Siitonen, “The Ontology of Facts and Values”, Pragmatic idealism: Critical Essays on Nicholas Rescher's System of Pragmatic Idealism:
- This means that in case you have a value statement as a consequence of your reasoning, there must have been at least one value statement among your premises.
2001, Thomas M. Dicken, Rem Blanchard Edwards, Dialogues on Values and Centers of Value: Old Friends, New Thoughts:
- A very natural value statement might occur if I were to say, "Rem, you ought to try Vermont wildflower seeds. I think they are better than Arizona wildflower seeds. Preferring includes recommending as a sub-category!
- (business) An organisation's statement of its ethical values, complementary to mission statement and vision statement.