Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsteɪtm(ə)nt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsteɪtmənt/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪtmənt
- Hyphenation: state‧ment
statement (plural statements)
- A declaration or remark.
- A presentation of opinion or position.
- (finance) A document that summarizes financial activity.
- a bank statement
- (computing) An instruction in a computer program.
- 1981, Thomas C. Bartee, BASIC computer programming, page 110:
- In this section we will examine BASIC's primary statement for repeating a string of statements under program control: the FOR statement. Another statement, the NEXT statement, is always used with a FOR statement.
- 1989, M. K. Roy, Debabrata Ghosh Dastidar, COBOL Programming (page 174)
- However, it is the responsibility of the programmer to ensure that the control ultimately reaches the last statement of the range.
Terms derived from statement
declaration or remark
presentation of opinion or position
finance: document that summarizes financial activity
computing: instruction in a computer program
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To provide an official document of a proposition, especially in the UK a Statement of Special Educational Needs.
- statement in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- statement in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.