Jump to navigation Jump to search
vicaress (plural vicaresses)
- A sister lower in order than an abbess or mother superior in a nunnery or convent.
- A female representative.
- The wife of a parish vicar.
sister lower than an abbess or mother superior
wife of a vicar
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Champagne had quickened her tongue, whereas the vicaress began to wax somnolent with a pleasant sense of satiety. She responded in monosyllables to Mrs. Marjoy's dithy- rambics on morals.
- Found in the Oxford English Dictionary