waiver (plural waivers)
- The act of waiving, or not insisting on, some right, claim, or privilege.
- (law) A legal document releasing some requirement, such as waiving a right (giving it up) or a waiver of liability (agreeing to hold someone blameless). Also used for such a form even before it is filled out and signed.
- I had to sign a waiver when I went skydiving, agreeing not to sue even if something went wrong.
- Something that releases a person from a requirement.
- I needed a waiver from the department head to take the course because I didn't technically have the prerequisite courses.
- I needed a waiver from the zoning board for the house because the lot was so small, but they let me build because it was next to the park.
- Sometimes used in puns involving wavering about waivers, the noun, especially in newspaper headlines for sports stories.
- (Anglo-Norman) Alternative form of
This verb conjugates as a first-group verb ending in -er. The forms that would normally end in *-v, *-vs, *-vt are modified to f, s, t. This verb has irregularities in its conjugation. Old French conjugation varies significantly by date and by region. The following conjugation should be treated as a guide.
|gerund||en waivant||Use the gerund of avoir followed by the past participle|
|indicative||jeo, jou||tu||il||nos, nous||vos, vous||ils|
|imperfect||waivoie, waiveie, waivoe, waiveve||waivoies, waiveies, waivoes, waiveves||waivoit, waiveit, waivot, waiveve||waiviiens, waiviens||waiviiez, waiviez||waivoient, waiveient, waivoent, waivevent|
|future||waiverai||waiveras||waivera||waiverons||waiveroiz, waivereiz, waiverez||waiveront|
|conditional||waiveroie, waivereie||waiveroies, waivereies||waiveroit, waivereit||waiveriiens, waiveriens||waiveriiez, waiveriez||waiveroient, waivereient|
|present perfect||Use the present tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|past anterior||Use the preterite tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|future perfect||Use the future tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|conditional perfect||Use the conditional tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|subjunctive||que jeo, jou||que tu||qu’il||que nos, nous||que vos, vous||qu’ils|
|imperfect||waivasse||waivasses||waivast||waivissons, waivissiens||waivissoiz, waivissez, waivissiez||waivassent|
|past||Use the present subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
|imperative||–||tu||–||nos, nous||vos, vous||–|