Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
whangee (plural whangees)
- Any of over forty Asian grasses of the genus Phyllostachys, a genus of bamboos, hardy evergreen plants from Japan, China and the Himalayas with woody stems sometimes used to make canes and umbrella handles.
- A cane made from whangee wood.
1929, Baldwyn Dyke Acland, chapter 2, in Filibuster:
- “One marble hall, with staircase complete, one butler and three flunkeys to receive a retired sojer who dares to ring the bell. D'you know, old boy, I gave my bowler to the butler, whangee to one flunkey, gloves to another, and there was the fourth poor blighter looking like an orphan at a Mothers' Meeting. …"
- whangee on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Phyllostachys on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- whangee (umbrella handles and canes) at Google Images