Jump to navigation Jump to search
yegg (plural yeggs)
- (cant, slang) A person who breaks open safes; a burglar.
- 1904, Edwin S. Porter (director), Capture of the ‘Yegg’ Bank Burglars
- 1914, Louis Joseph Vance, Nobody, chapter III:
- She was frankly disappointed. For some reason she had thought to discover a burglar of one or another accepted type—either a dashing cracksman in full-blown evening dress, lithe, polished, pantherish, or a common yegg, a red-eyed, unshaven burly brute in the rags and tatters of a tramp.
- 1940, Raymond Chandler, Farewell, My Lovely, Penguin 2010, p. 265:
- ‘These racketeers are a new type. We think about them the way we think about old time yeggs or needled-up punks.’
a person who breaks open safes; a burglar