Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Ancient Greek 
- (5th BC Attic): IPA: /hypó/
- (1st BC Egyptian): IPA: /hypó/
- (4th AD Koine): IPA: /ypó/
- (10th AD Byzantine): IPA: /ypó/
- (15th AD Constantinopolitan): IPA: /ipó/
From Proto-Indo-European *upo.
- under, that is, (with the genitive) of place (beneath), or with verbs (the agency or means, through); (with the accusative) of place (whither [underneath] or where [below]) or time (when [at]): among, by, from, in, of, under, with. In compounds it retains the same genitive applications, especially of inferior position or condition, and specifically covertly or moderately.