Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɛkə
- A city in Saudi Arabia, the holiest place in Islam, location of the sacred Ka'ba, and to which Muslims are required to make a hajj at least once in their lifetime.
city in Saudi Arabia
Mecca (plural Meccas)
- (figuratively) Any place considered to be a very important place to visit by people with a particular interest.
1935, George Goodchild, chapter 5, Death on the Centre Court:
- By one o'clock the place was choc-a-bloc. […] The restaurant was packed, and the promenade between the two main courts and the subsidiary courts was thronged with healthy-looking youngish people, drawn to the Mecca of tennis from all parts of the country.
- 1991, The Economist, The Economist Newspaper Ltd.
- On the other side of the Atlantic, stores in Paris's chic Avenue Montaigne, a mecca for Japanese tourists, said that sales to foreigners had fallen sharply.
- 1997, John Romano, Muscle Meals, page 14.
- Living in Venice, California and training at the Mecca of bodybuilding, Gold's Gym, I've seen some of the world's most dedicated and hard-training athletes.
important place to visit by people with a particular interest