hey, thanks for checking, i fixed it :-) - dann
Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contributions so far. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- How to edit a page is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard, the easiest way to do this is to copy exactly an existing page for a similar word.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words Wiktionary is interested in including. There is also a list of things that Wiktionary is not for a higher level overview.
- If you already have some experience with editing our sister project Wikipedia, then you may find our guide to Wikipedia users useful.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- We have discussion rooms in which you can ask any question about Wiktionary or its entries, a glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
Also, please add a BabelBox to your userpage so we can help you with the languages you'll be working in.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
What were you trying to achieve? Entries like this are NOT acceptable. If you need help with creating an entry that include Chinese characters, you can consult with me. Jamesjiao → T ◊ C 22:46, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Erm, I was trying to add an entry for a word that wasn't in the dictionary. Instead of shouting, maybe you can tell me what's not acceptable about the entry? Dann Dempsey (talk) 20:12, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry, some of us can get a bit frustrated at newbies. Your entry broke most of our formatting rules. I recommend you read WT:ELE (or ask someone like User:Tooironic for the Chinese-related highlights) and definitely read WT:Wiktionary for Wikipedians. --Μετάknowledgediscuss/deeds 20:24, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
- The thing is you have been making good entries. Then you came back and did this: . I mean, come on. How is anyone going to understand this? The entry has nothing, but a definition. What language? What part of speech? There is nothing else on the page. Jamesjiao → T ◊ C 00:31, 11 August 2012 (UTC)
I meant any dictionary beside that one. Since it's a community-built dictionary i've noticed a tendency to include words from other indian languages (along with their modern senses), and I'm not convinced that समस्या classically meant "problem". Dann Dempsey (talk) 16:37, 18 April 2014 (UTC)