The family name is from the Dutch place name Coevorden ("the place where cows ford the river") via the Dutch family name van Coevorden ("a person from Coevorden"). The place names are derived from the family name, being named after George Vancouver, an English explorer who charted the northwestern Pacific coast of North America in a 1791-1794 expedition.
- IPA(key): /væŋˈkuː.vɚ/, /vænˈkuː.vɚ/
Vancouver (Canadian) (file)
Vancouver (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -uːvə(r)
- A family name.
- A large city and seaport in British Columbia, Canada
- A city in the state of Washington, USA.
- A mountain between Alaska and Canada in the Saint Elias Mountains.
- (Canadian city): Hollywood North (informal), Hongcouver (informal, somewhat derogatory), Lotusland (informal), No Fun City (informal, usually pejorative).
- The True Meaning of Vancouver, Joseph Jones, Vancouver Sun, 1994-12-31, which in turn cites Woordenboek der Noord — en Zuidnederlandse plaatsnamen