Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: warren
- A surname.
- A male given name.
- A community in Manitoba.
- A town in New South Wales.
- A town in Connecticut.
- An unincorporated community in Kentucky.
- A town in Maine.
- A city in Minnesota.
- A town in New Hampshire.
- A city in Ohio.
- A city in Pennsylvania.
- A town in Rhode Island.
The given name used in medieval England and returned to use in the nineteenth century, often transferred from the the surname. It has been more popular in the U.S.A. than in the U.K.
- 1894 George Bruce Malleson, Life of Warren Hastings, First Governor-General of India, Chapman&Hall 1894, page 4:
- Meanwhile, in 1730, the son, the younger Penyston Hastings, had married Hester Warren, daughter of the proprietor of Stubhill, a small estate near Twining, Gloucestershire. She died in the house at Churchill after having given birth to her second child who, in memory of her, was named Warren.
- 1940, Paul Corey, The Road Returns, Bobbs-Merrill 1940, page 359:
- "I tell her she should name him Warren after the President,"Andrew was saying.
- "Never," said his wife. "Maybe I'll call him - " she looked around frantically - "Edward or Eric."