- (historical) Suzhou, a city in southern Jiangsu province in China, whence:
- A historic and cultural region of China around the mouth of the Yangtze River, whence:
- The family of Chinese languages spoken in that region, including Shanghainese and Suzhounese, the second-most spoken family after Mandarin.
- (historical) The kingdom ruled by the Ji family from Wuxi and then Suzhou during the Spring and Autumn period of China's Zhou dynasty.
- A common Chinese surname:
- (historical) The kingdom ruled by the Sun family from Ezhou and Nanjing during the Three Kingdoms interregnum following China's Han dynasty.
- (historical) The kingdom ruled by Li Zitong from Yangzhou and Hangzhou during the interregnum following China's Sui dynasty.
- (historical) The kingdom ruled by the Yang family from Yangzhou during the Ten Kingdoms interregnum following China's Tang dynasty.
- (historical) The kingdom ruled by the Qian family from Hangzhou and Shaoxing during the Ten Kingdoms interregnum following China's Tang dynasty.
- Gusu, Helu City, Suzhou (Suzhou)
- Wuxian, Wu-hsien (county)
- Wujun, Wu-chun (commandery)
- Wu Chinese, Jiangnan, Wuyue, Jiangzhe (language family)
- Gou Wu, Gouwu, Gong Wu, Gongwu (Spring & Autumn Period realm)
- Dong Wu, Dongwu, Eastern Wu, Sun Wu (Three Kingdoms realm)
- Huainan, Hongnong, Southern Wu, Yang Wu (Ten Kingdoms realm ruled from Yangzhou)
- Wuyue (Ten Kingdoms realm ruled from Hangzhou)
- Woo (surname)
- A Chinese surname
- (historical) An epithet of numerous kings and emperors in Chinese history who were honored with variants of the posthumous name Wuwang or Wudi.
Although the Chinese usage of Wu as a posthumous name is adjectival and should properly be translated — as, e.g., "the Martial Emperor of the Han dynasty" — or treated as an epithet in a similar manner to emperors called after their era names — as, e.g., "the Hongwu Emperor of the Ming dynasty" — it is much more common to encounter them in English sources treated as proper names — as, e.g., "Emperor Wu of the Han dynasty" — despite the Chinese meaning nothing of the sort.
- A surname of Chinese origin.