Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɔːkwəd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɔkwɚd/
- (Canada, cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈɑkwɚd/
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (US) (US cot-caught merged) (file)
- (obsolete) In a backwards direction.
- Lacking dexterity in the use of the hands, or of instruments
- John was awkward at performing the trick. He'll have to practice to improve.
- Not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
- That was an extremely awkward moment. Everyone was watching.
- Lacking social skills, or uncomfortable with social interaction
- Perverse; adverse; difficult to handle
- He's a right awkward chap.
- These cabinets are going to be very awkward when we move.
lacking dexterity in the use of the hands
not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
perverse; adverse; untoward