Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- necessary, essential for life or some process.
- Flour is a basic ingredient of bread.
- elementary, simple, fundamental, merely functional.
- The Hotel Sparta’s accommodation is purely basic.
- (chemistry) Of or pertaining to a base; antonym of acidic
- See also Wikisaurus:bare-bones
necessary, essential for life or some process
elementary, simple, merely functional
chemistry: of a base
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
basic (plural basics)
- A necessary commodity, a staple requirement.
- Rice is a basic for many Asian villagers.
- An elementary building block, e.g. a fundamental piece of knowledge.
- Arithmetic is a basic for the study of mathematics.
- (military) basic training.
elementary building block
basic m (invariable)