Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ækən
- To make black.
- To make dirty.
- To defame or sully.
- Malice delights to blacken the characters of prominent men. — Napoleon Bonaparte
- To cook (meat or fish) by coating with pepper, etc., and quickly searing in a hot pan.
- (intransitive) To become black.
- The sky blackened as the storm clouds rolled in.
- (make black): black, denigrate
- (make dirty): dirty, soil
- (defame): defame, denigrate, sully, taint, tarnish
cook by coating with pepper and quickly searing