Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
commencement (plural commencements)
- The first existence of anything; act or fact of commencing; rise; origin; beginning; start.
- The time of Henry VII ... nearly coincides with the commencement of what is termed modern history. -allam.
- 1800, William Took, View of the Russian empire during the reign of Catharine the Second
- Yet from the commencement of mining there have been unnoble proprietors of mines, who belonged to the class of merchants.
- The day when degrees are conferred by colleges and universities upon students and others.
- A graduation ceremony, from a school, college or university.
- (graduation ceremony): convocation
an act of commencing or beginning
day degrees are conferred
commencement m (plural commencements)
- "commencement" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
commencement m (plural commencemens)