Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: /kənˈtɛntʃən/
contention (plural contentions)
- struggle, contest, strife, argument, debate
- A point maintained in an argument, or a line of argument taken in its support; the subject matter of discussion of strife; a position taken or contended for.
- It is my contention that state lotteries are taxes on stupid people.
- (computing, telecommunications) Competition by parts of a system or its users for a limited resource.
Derived terms 
Related terms 
struggle, contest, strife
- contention in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- contention in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Old French 
- English: contention