Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
demotic (not comparable)
- Of or for the common people.
- Of, relating to, or written in the vulgar form of ancient Egyptian hieratic writing.
- demotic script is a simplified, cursive form of hieroglyphs used in ancient egypt.
- Of, relating to, or written in the form of modern vernacular Greek.
- demotic Greek
- (of the vulgar form of hieratic writing): enchorial
of or for the common people
Egyptian hieratic writing
written modern Greek
demotic (plural demotics)
- (linguistics) Language as spoken by the common people.