Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Distinguish from pronunciation of demur
- Quiet, modest, reserved, sober, or serious.
- She is a demure young lady.
- W. Black
- Nan was very much delighted in her demure way, and that delight showed itself in her face and in her clear bright eyes.
- Affectedly modest, decorous, or serious; making a show of gravity.
- A cat lay, and looked so demure, as if there had been neither life nor soul in her.
- Miss Mitford
- Miss Lizzy, I have no doubt, would be as demure and coquettish, as if ten winters more had gone over her head.
modest, quiet, reserved