Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To terminate a union of multiple members actively, as by disbanding
- The ruling party or coalition sometimes dissolves parliament early when the polls are favorable, hoping to reconvene with a larger majority
- (transitive) To destroy, make disappear
- (transitive) To liquify, melt into a fluid
- (intransitive) To be melted, changed into a fluid
- (chemistry) (transitive) To disintegrate chemically into a solution by immersion into a liquid or gas.
- (chemistry) (intransitive) To be disintegrated by such immersion.
- (transitive) To disperse, drive apart a group of persons.
- (cinematography) (intransitive) To shift from one shot to another by having the former fade out as the latter fades in.
- (intransitive) To resolve itself as by dissolution
Derived terms 
Related terms 
to terminate a union of multiple members actively
transitive: to disintegrate into a solution by immersion
intransitive: to be disintegrated into a solution by immersion
to resolve itself as by dissolution
fade out — see fade out
to disperse a group
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
See also 
dissolve (plural dissolves)
- (cinematography) A film punctuation in which there is a gradual transition from one scene to the next.
- third-person singular present indicative of dissolvere
- second-person singular present active imperative of dissolvō