Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
elevation (plural elevations)
- The act of raising from a lower place, condition, or quality to a higher; said of material things, persons, the mind, the voice, etc.; as, the elevation of grain; elevation to a throne; elevation to sainthood; elevation of mind, thoughts, or character.
- The condition of being or feeling elevated; heightened; exaltation.
- That which is raised up or elevated; an elevated place or station; as, an elevation of the ground; a hill.
- The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude; as, the elevation of the pole, or of a star.
- The angle which the style makes with the substylar line.
- The movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane; also, the angle of elevation, that is, the angle between the axis of the piece and the line of sight; distinguished from direction.
- (architecture) A geometrical projection of a building, or other object, on a plane perpendicular to the horizon; orthographic projection on a vertical plane; called by the ancients the orthography.
- The raising of the host - representing Christ's body - in a mass or Holy Communion service.
act of raising
condition of being elevated
angle which the style makes with the substylar line
movement of the axis of a piece in a vertical plane
raising of the host
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.